Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Some of the things I've been up too lately

One of the things I've been doing is adding sheets of old patterns to my maniquin. I used a glue made of flour and water after reading one of Dawn's blogs. I used flour and water as a kid, but most of the time I use white glue mixed with water or mod podge now. But I have to tell you, I love the way this mixture turned out. This maniquin had the paper cording wrapped around her and it didn't look good. It was brown and some of it had come loose. I tore all that off several months ago. Then last week I decided to spruce her up. I use her to display clothes when I sell them on Craigslist. And she has a spot in one of my studios. I think she looks pretty cool.




I found a hat at an estate sale a couple of weeks ago. It had two roses and a bow on it. I loved the roses and wanted to try to make vintage roses, so I bought the had and took the roses off. One of the roses I tore up to make a pattern and see how it was made. This is a picture of the one I didn't tear up. Isn't it pretty.


This is the one that I made. I took the pattern I made and cut it out of an old pair of my pajamas. I loved the peachy orange color. And I had a piece of orange lace that I put in for the velvet. Thought I would let you see how it turned out. I want to try it again with some dupionie silk and see how it will turn out. Either way it was a lot of fun to work with.



Hope everyone out there in blogland has a very happy Thanksgiving and enjoys the day with family and friends. I know I am thankful to be a part of blogland and share with all of you.
Hugs, Pat

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Mannequin looks wonderful.....I like the matte finish of the flour and water......just watch out for bugs because they will eat it!!!!! The roses are great...can't wait to see one in person.....is this a class waiting to happen??? Happy Thanksgiving, dear lady......xojana

The Feathered Nest said...

I LOVE your mannequin Pat!!! The matte finish is beautiful to me ~ and much less expensive than matte gel medium too!!! Your rose is so beautiful...What a wonderful idea to deconstruct one to see the pattern!! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving sweet friend, hugs and love, Dawn

Rebecca Nelson said...

I'm LOVIN' Her!

Happy Thanksgiving, Pat! May you day be filled with lots of love and only GREAT FOOD!

Love, Rebecca

RoeH said...

That's the neatest idea. I wish I had a mannequin now. Very cool!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat!
Oh I do love your mannequin too!That is on my list of 'things to buy in the future:'
The flower that you made is just sooo pretty! That shade of peachy-orange-pinky color is one of my favorites!
Thanks so much for stopping by and I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, too!♥

Hugs,
Lynn♥

~Let FREEDOM Ring!~

THE HOME THAT LOVE BUILT said...

Love the idea for the mannequin!The rose is lovely too! You're so creative. Have a lovely Thanksgiving.

Blessings,
Brook

Barbara Jean said...

Beautiful roses!!

Blessings

barbara jean

Charlene said...

LOVE your Mannequin! She looks wonderful! I didn't see Dawn's post on using flour & water. I need to go check that out but, from the looks of it....it works well. And your rose is pretty too. I think it is great that you added the lace to it. Thanks for the comment on my new doll. I love her. Today I got her put into the Christmas vignette I had been planning. Put her on top of that china hutch in my living room. I'll post about her soon. Have a great weekend & I'll talk to ya the first of the week. HUGS!

Maggie R said...

Hi Pat,
Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving..
I love what you did with the mannequin.. Great idea.. and the "rose" it is beautiful. Did you just use wide strips of the fabric??
Thanks for sharing
xoxo
((((hugsd))))\
Maggie

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Love the mannequin! and the roses?? Perfection!

Inspired-Simplicity said...

Pat,
Your handwork is so beautiful, and such a treasure. That was a great idea for the mannequin.
miss u,
c.xo

Barbara Jean said...

Beautiful!

barbara jean

Sandra Foster said...

Hi Pat! Your flowers are lovely - nice job. Sandra